Skip to main content

Merry Christmas 2017!

Yea!!!! We managed to have a fab Christmas day!!! At last, after years of trying to be conventional and stick to the Christmas Day rules, our plans of a chilled out morning, motorbikes on Salisbury Plain followed by ham, eggs and chips for tea worked a treat - we all had a lovely day. The day didn't start as well as planned - we woke to find the boiler had blown out and wouldn't relight. Typical - keep it serviced and maintained and it goes offline on Christmas Day - what are the chances of that happening?!? We managed to get hold of our normal boiler man only to find he was away until the 30th - eek! It wasn't exactly cold but even so, we didn't want to huddle in one room with no hot water. Luckily he recommended someone in the village who was happy to come out. 45 minutes later, £104 and 3 bottles of wine lighter we were all fixed and back on track. We all agreed it was by far the best way to do Christmas - finally a recipe for us all!

The rest of my Christmas break has been equally lovely. I've walked miles, slept well, eaten and drunk but not too excess at any point, seen friends and generally relaxed - a perfect holiday. In fact, if I could only ever have one type of holiday again this is what I would choose. I will be going back to work feeling very much rested and restored. Lets hope it lasts more than 5 minutes!

The first part of our break was our trip to London to see Rick Astley. Despite Glenn's fears, it was as I expected - absolutely brilliant. We had a ball, from the route march around London beforehand, to the pre-club meal where we met a lovely couple from just up the road (small world!), to the event itself. We finally made it back to the hotel about 3am having taken the scenic route home (Glenn's navigation not mine) and fell into bed. The journey home was less painful than I thought it would be - G&Ts are the way forward it seems!

On the Friday before Christmas we had our annual Christmas get together and once again it was fab to see friends and neighbours. This year we bought multiple cases of prosecco given the last 2 years we have had to send out to neighbours for replenishments. This year however, preempted from the night in London, we also stocked up on a number of different gins as an alternative. Typically everyone arrived brandishing prosecco only to drink gin all evening - typical! So we still have a garage full of prosecco, as well as many half empty bottles of gin. Lucky for us the boiler man didn't mind being sent off with a few!

So just a few more days before its back to work. We have Simon and Sharron here for NYE before our annual windy walk and lunch at Sandbanks. I'm pretty positive about back to work., I finished on a high with lots of new work so I'm set up quite well for the next 6 months. That and I have a number of things - trips with Glenn and the kids all to look forward - 2018 feels like it will be a good year.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Busy, busy, busy

Full English brunch for these two! Life is VERY busy and I don't feel like we have stopped for weeks (or is that months?) It seems like the 'to-do' list is endless and while I know we don't have to do it all at once, I have taken on the unenviable task of trying to get the Muppet to finish all the work he promised / we have paid for and that has been like pushing a mountain of water up a very steep hill. We've got to the point where I think we have got all of what we are likely to get and the rest we'd rather finish ourselves anyway. The electric gates are clearly a work of his imagination based on the gates / the electric cables he spec'd and the cheapo motor mechanism - there is no way they'll work so we have decided to not bother and source proper gates that do the job and look better as well. Knowing that we are almost at a point where we sever the ties feels very liberating. Looking back this last 6 months has been incredibly stressful and just didn...

How time flies

I've probably started the blog a hundred times on how fast time seems to pass, but this photo that Jo sent us this week just sums it up perfectly. Over the holidays we had the pleasure of meeting the newest Obbard (a pink one!) and we reminisced about the times they've all spent together, and how fast they've all grown up. Miss Eleanor Charlotte Holly Obbard is so very cute - much as I can take or leave a baby boy, a little girl brings very different emotions and I could happily have held her for hours. So now we are all back into the work and school and it feels like the holidays were 10 weeks rather than 10 days ago. My new job seems to be shaping up just fine - lots to do but I'm feeling incredibly energised by it all - and the girls are pleased to be back into the routine of classes and clubs. That is, apart from the earlier mornings - none of us are loving that. This weekend Abi came home all excited - she has her own licence trial and she is so excited about...

Snow!

After a beautiful day of sunshine yesterday, today it snowed... but more of that in a minute. Yesterday actually felt like a day of much progress. Despite Covid we managed to arrange a visit to Taunton School to have a look around with the girls and to meet the Headmaster. This was a massive relief as I had got to the point of thinking we would have to accept a place without ever stepping foot inside the school. In the end we had a very comprehensive, if a little deserted, tour of the school and the kids loved it, as did we. There may even be a small chance they might squeeze us in if we are there by the summer term - that is of course if the kids are back into school by then. The other news was that I managed to speak to Mr &Mrs Tucker - the people buying our house - and we tentatively agreed that we will try and complete during the Easter holidays which could have us moving in the third week of April. This does require everyone to have got all of what they need done, and that of ...