Skip to main content

It's raining, it's pouring

So after endless days (it seems, we've only been here 3 weeks so it can't be that long) of sunshine and wonderful sunsets, we have had on and off rain for a few days now, as well as gale force winds to boot which is never great when you have a leaky workshop roof and a stressed out husband. Heavy rain also brings a have a smell of drains in our en-suite - something that obviously makes me concerned when we know the septic tank isn't doing the job it should be, small concerns (not!).

It has been another week of keeping our fingers crossed that we will manage to exchange on The Willows, and get to a point where we could exchange on the Barn (ie we have all the paperwork in order).  As it was after a week of "will we, wont we" on The Willows we finally reached a point on Friday afternoon where it appeared everyone was lined up, only to find one of the solicitors had knocked off early and so we had to wait. I give up! On our purchase we are now waiting on the final legal document (a PCC rather than a warranty - at this stage we'd take pretty much anything) and then our solicitor can finalise her report and we should be good to go there as well. After all this time it will be such an anticlimax I think to finally be done, although I've already decided I may celebrate with bubbles - I think we will deserve it.

As has been the case all along, to counter the rubbish stuff that's been going on, there's the good stuff. We walked with Mum and Dad after work / school on Friday, saw Amanda and Alex for a late lunch after a mooch around town on Saturday and today John popped round for a cup of tea and slice of cake (my cake consumption has gone through the roof lately!).


Today was also the day I said a last goodbye to The Willows.  Glenn and I had agreed that I would do the final clean given he had done a couple of runs back and forth. It also meant I could see Zsara for a cup of tea (no cake this time). The clean took longer than I thought it would (I resorted to hoovering out the freezer) and by the time I was finished I realised I have already made the emotional shift to our new house. The old house doesn't feel like ours any more - although it did make me sad that the apple tree I finally got round to planting 6 years after moving in is now flowering - I was tempted to dig it up and bring it with me but I didn't - it probably wouldn't survive in the soil around here - I think this is turnip not apple country. Who knows though - we will see what happens when we start planting - there's certainly enough rain at the moment. Cue red dog paws and major slip hazards on the clay soil!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How time flies

I've probably started the blog a hundred times on how fast time seems to pass, but this photo that Jo sent us this week just sums it up perfectly. Over the holidays we had the pleasure of meeting the newest Obbard (a pink one!) and we reminisced about the times they've all spent together, and how fast they've all grown up. Miss Eleanor Charlotte Holly Obbard is so very cute - much as I can take or leave a baby boy, a little girl brings very different emotions and I could happily have held her for hours. So now we are all back into the work and school and it feels like the holidays were 10 weeks rather than 10 days ago. My new job seems to be shaping up just fine - lots to do but I'm feeling incredibly energised by it all - and the girls are pleased to be back into the routine of classes and clubs. That is, apart from the earlier mornings - none of us are loving that. This weekend Abi came home all excited - she has her own licence trial and she is so excited about...

Busy, busy, busy

Full English brunch for these two! Life is VERY busy and I don't feel like we have stopped for weeks (or is that months?) It seems like the 'to-do' list is endless and while I know we don't have to do it all at once, I have taken on the unenviable task of trying to get the Muppet to finish all the work he promised / we have paid for and that has been like pushing a mountain of water up a very steep hill. We've got to the point where I think we have got all of what we are likely to get and the rest we'd rather finish ourselves anyway. The electric gates are clearly a work of his imagination based on the gates / the electric cables he spec'd and the cheapo motor mechanism - there is no way they'll work so we have decided to not bother and source proper gates that do the job and look better as well. Knowing that we are almost at a point where we sever the ties feels very liberating. Looking back this last 6 months has been incredibly stressful and just didn...

Snow!

After a beautiful day of sunshine yesterday, today it snowed... but more of that in a minute. Yesterday actually felt like a day of much progress. Despite Covid we managed to arrange a visit to Taunton School to have a look around with the girls and to meet the Headmaster. This was a massive relief as I had got to the point of thinking we would have to accept a place without ever stepping foot inside the school. In the end we had a very comprehensive, if a little deserted, tour of the school and the kids loved it, as did we. There may even be a small chance they might squeeze us in if we are there by the summer term - that is of course if the kids are back into school by then. The other news was that I managed to speak to Mr &Mrs Tucker - the people buying our house - and we tentatively agreed that we will try and complete during the Easter holidays which could have us moving in the third week of April. This does require everyone to have got all of what they need done, and that of ...