Skip to main content

Meet Bertie Bassett!

Half term madness - we have a new puppy! We've been talking for a while about when is the right time to have a puppy, do we wait until Scooby is much older,  what type of dog etc etc. Against this discussion we have the girls asking, begging for another dog. Why we need more than one I don't know but there we go. The one thing I was absolutely clear on was we were not having another boxer, definitely not a male and preferably a smaller breed. So, welcome to Bertie, a 5 month old male boxer with enormous paws. He is such a cutie - very chilled out and very much part of the family already. We found him on a website just by chance - I'd decided maybe an older puppy would be best (the only criteria I stuck to!) and just as I was looking up he popped, just put on by a breeder in Wiltshire who had been raising 2 puppies and decided the other was more suitable to continue with so Bertie was for sale. We met her husband at her daughter's house in Devises where 2 other boxers were also running free - 4 boxers in total including Scooby, chaos! So far so good. The girls love him, Scooby is making the most of the extra attention he's getting and being that bit older he's a bit less trouble. He lives being outside is very happy with everyone he's met and is generally lovely to be around. As far as manners in the house, he gets the fact that he should be outside to pee, but seems to be far more interested in everything else when we are walking to do anything else. So we are getting obsessed about dog poo - just as I thought my life had moved on for that side of things! Our house feels full of dog but also full of fun and smiles - not a bad combo.

What it's not full of now is hamsters. Bella has found a new home, going to a friend of Glenn's sisters who collects furry friends. While I feel a bit guilty that we didn't manage to last the distance with her, at least we didn't cast her out to fend for herself (as suggested by some), we know she's gone to a good home. I did have to send a frantic follow up text to remind them if her favourite food, let's hope she gets her nightly raisins and is a fat and happy rodent for some while to come.

The rest of half term has been a bit more run of the mill, other than the equally spontaneous car purchase which I wasn't anticipating! Glenn has been suggesting for a while that I should change my Merc estate for an ML, because clearly we need another big car. I've been saying it's fine but in a moment of weakness I let him take me to the garage and before you know it they've called back with a deal that we negotiated on and got to a place everyone was happy with. So we have a shiny new
puppy and a shiny new car. Definitely time to go back to work before anything else turns up!

The girls have had a lovely week off, we all have. The weather has been good enough to be able to get outside every day, we've done lots together a s a family, we got down to Somerset last weekend, we had a brilliant day on Wednesday in the sunshine clearing wood and building bonfires, all in all very nice. I've managed to keep away from emails (mostly), and the week back at work isn't looking too hectic. Famous last words!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Busy, busy, busy

Full English brunch for these two! Life is VERY busy and I don't feel like we have stopped for weeks (or is that months?) It seems like the 'to-do' list is endless and while I know we don't have to do it all at once, I have taken on the unenviable task of trying to get the Muppet to finish all the work he promised / we have paid for and that has been like pushing a mountain of water up a very steep hill. We've got to the point where I think we have got all of what we are likely to get and the rest we'd rather finish ourselves anyway. The electric gates are clearly a work of his imagination based on the gates / the electric cables he spec'd and the cheapo motor mechanism - there is no way they'll work so we have decided to not bother and source proper gates that do the job and look better as well. Knowing that we are almost at a point where we sever the ties feels very liberating. Looking back this last 6 months has been incredibly stressful and just didn...

How time flies

I've probably started the blog a hundred times on how fast time seems to pass, but this photo that Jo sent us this week just sums it up perfectly. Over the holidays we had the pleasure of meeting the newest Obbard (a pink one!) and we reminisced about the times they've all spent together, and how fast they've all grown up. Miss Eleanor Charlotte Holly Obbard is so very cute - much as I can take or leave a baby boy, a little girl brings very different emotions and I could happily have held her for hours. So now we are all back into the work and school and it feels like the holidays were 10 weeks rather than 10 days ago. My new job seems to be shaping up just fine - lots to do but I'm feeling incredibly energised by it all - and the girls are pleased to be back into the routine of classes and clubs. That is, apart from the earlier mornings - none of us are loving that. This weekend Abi came home all excited - she has her own licence trial and she is so excited about...

Snow!

After a beautiful day of sunshine yesterday, today it snowed... but more of that in a minute. Yesterday actually felt like a day of much progress. Despite Covid we managed to arrange a visit to Taunton School to have a look around with the girls and to meet the Headmaster. This was a massive relief as I had got to the point of thinking we would have to accept a place without ever stepping foot inside the school. In the end we had a very comprehensive, if a little deserted, tour of the school and the kids loved it, as did we. There may even be a small chance they might squeeze us in if we are there by the summer term - that is of course if the kids are back into school by then. The other news was that I managed to speak to Mr &Mrs Tucker - the people buying our house - and we tentatively agreed that we will try and complete during the Easter holidays which could have us moving in the third week of April. This does require everyone to have got all of what they need done, and that of ...