Skip to main content

It must be love, love, love...

So here it is again, Sunday evening - where are the weeks going? This weekend we have mainly been wondering where our children are. Actually, we've either had no children to be seen, or there have been 4 of them in the garden / house. Both yesterday and today Abi and Izzy have been off with Grace and Finn with lots of fun had by all it seems. Grace, despite being year 5 is pretty much the same height and build as Abi, and even more exciting for them both, the same shoe size. This means they can swap just about everything so both Elizabeth and I have spent a fair amount of time folding clothes to return back over the road! This evening we have a pair of leggings, a jumper, one sock and one shoe to go back. Only one because they both spent much of this afternoon limping around the garden on crutches pretending to have broken legs. After all, what better to do on a sunny February afternoon?!
 I had to laugh when I went upstairs yesterday to check what was going on (it had all gone very quiet) to find Grace and Izzy tucked up in Izzy's bed watching something on one iPad, and Abi and Finn tucked up (under the duvet) in Abi's room, also with iPad. Finn shot out of the bed like a bullet when he saw me - regardless of the fact that it was all very innocent - I think he likes her!

If Finn does have a little crush on Abi its going to go unrequited as she is very much smitten with Jack, the boy she sits next to at school. It seems it's mutual as this evening when I was clearing out her school bag I came across a little card with 'Dear Abi, you are my best friend, love Jack xxx' written in it.  According to her she has any number of these little love notes - all stuffed into her book in her desk in case the teacher does a 'desk check'! When I ask about her day I generally get chapter and verse on what Jack did / said / might say - it's all so very sweet.

So while Abi is hanging around with boys (her friends in school seem to be almost exclusively male at the moment), Izzy is giving them a wide berth after this week. She is sporting a massive black eye after Gus, one of her favourite boys, managed to smack her squarely in the eye with his tennis event racquet. Luckily she's made of tough stuff and didn't make a fuss but she's got a real shiner.

This week has been tough for Izzy - they are now getting prep and the week started with a really long day where she came home from school straight to swimming then back, quick tea and off to a special brownie evening which didn't finish until 7.30pm. By the end of the week she was exhausted and came home in a ball of tears. When I asked her if the open morning had been good she burst into tears again. Apparently "no one came into our classroom, and it was probably all because of my eye..."! I doubt it but she couldn't be consoled - all too much. Funnily enough, a lie down on the sofa in front of the TV with her duvet made it all better - if only everything was so easy.

I will admit to feeling the same way on Friday - I had a really busy week and by the end of it I'd certainly had enough - sometimes it seems everything falls at the same time and I ended up with a couple of crazy days. I love the variety my job often brings, but not when it all gets crammed into a few days and I don't feel able to deliver on anything properly. I know I'm good on my feet under pressure but there is a limit.

This week also marked the closure of my BP restrictions as the last of my shares vested.  Funnily enough I got a phone call on the same day from someone who used to work for me there to say she was now at risk - the challenges they face continue and in hindsight I'm so pleased I got out when I did - it's been a very tough couple of years there and not much fun for anyone.

This week promises to be a bit less hectic - fingers crossed - there are only so many weeks anyone can do at that pace!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How time flies

I've probably started the blog a hundred times on how fast time seems to pass, but this photo that Jo sent us this week just sums it up perfectly. Over the holidays we had the pleasure of meeting the newest Obbard (a pink one!) and we reminisced about the times they've all spent together, and how fast they've all grown up. Miss Eleanor Charlotte Holly Obbard is so very cute - much as I can take or leave a baby boy, a little girl brings very different emotions and I could happily have held her for hours. So now we are all back into the work and school and it feels like the holidays were 10 weeks rather than 10 days ago. My new job seems to be shaping up just fine - lots to do but I'm feeling incredibly energised by it all - and the girls are pleased to be back into the routine of classes and clubs. That is, apart from the earlier mornings - none of us are loving that. This weekend Abi came home all excited - she has her own licence trial and she is so excited about...

Busy, busy, busy

Full English brunch for these two! Life is VERY busy and I don't feel like we have stopped for weeks (or is that months?) It seems like the 'to-do' list is endless and while I know we don't have to do it all at once, I have taken on the unenviable task of trying to get the Muppet to finish all the work he promised / we have paid for and that has been like pushing a mountain of water up a very steep hill. We've got to the point where I think we have got all of what we are likely to get and the rest we'd rather finish ourselves anyway. The electric gates are clearly a work of his imagination based on the gates / the electric cables he spec'd and the cheapo motor mechanism - there is no way they'll work so we have decided to not bother and source proper gates that do the job and look better as well. Knowing that we are almost at a point where we sever the ties feels very liberating. Looking back this last 6 months has been incredibly stressful and just didn...

Snow!

After a beautiful day of sunshine yesterday, today it snowed... but more of that in a minute. Yesterday actually felt like a day of much progress. Despite Covid we managed to arrange a visit to Taunton School to have a look around with the girls and to meet the Headmaster. This was a massive relief as I had got to the point of thinking we would have to accept a place without ever stepping foot inside the school. In the end we had a very comprehensive, if a little deserted, tour of the school and the kids loved it, as did we. There may even be a small chance they might squeeze us in if we are there by the summer term - that is of course if the kids are back into school by then. The other news was that I managed to speak to Mr &Mrs Tucker - the people buying our house - and we tentatively agreed that we will try and complete during the Easter holidays which could have us moving in the third week of April. This does require everyone to have got all of what they need done, and that of ...