Skip to main content

Happy birthday Izzy!


Happy birthday Izzy - 8 today!


So, like any dutiful parent I made sure the presents were wrapped and I was available this morning for the grand opening (took about 2 minutes as ever) before heading off for work. Feeling guilty that I hadn't been able to drop off today given it was a birthday, I made sure I was home tonight to do pick up, only for the 2 of them plus Grace to disappear off and I haven't seen them since. I'm clearly no longer required for a special birthday evening! It's our own doing - having both been brought up in families where the focus was always relatively low key for birthdays, we don't make a massive fuss and so neither do the girls. I think that's better than expecting the earth and getting all narked if you don't get want you want.


Not getting what you want is a good lesson to learn, particularly when your birthday list is a Shetland pony, a puppy or a pig (the last one clearly influenced by a big sister!)... As it was we had a chat and agreed that having more 'stuff' was not necessary and so in the end we got her a few new items of clothes and a day at the Hawk Conservancy looking after Owls - that definitely hit the spot, although I draw the line at the request to take her 2 best friends from school and Abi along as well - these things are not cheap!


Yesterday was party day and we headed off to The Jump Factory at Basingstoke for a party with Izzy and 14 friends. It was lovely to see new and old faces - she had a mix of neighbours, St Gabs and Thorngrove there and they had a great time on the trampolines, followed by all the cocktail sausages you can eat, a smattering of salad and cake to finish off. They then pleaded to go back to Mia's (of course!) so I got a lovely long walk with the dogs before we all went next door for a big (slightly alcoholic - not good on a Sunday evening!) birthday tea. Luckily we all had kids to get to school in the morning so the celebrations finished promptly at 8pm, but she did make the most of a long day of fun - no wonder we were all a bit tired this morning.


It is amazing to think how fast the time has passed - it feels all of 8 years and no more then 8 minutes since we welcomed her into the world. I'm so glad I've kept a record of the time passing with the blog otherwise it would all be a blur - so much has happened but she's growing into a lovely young girl, albeit still on the small side.... (the girl who was our party rep yesterday tried to guess her age - her first attempt was 5!). I know I need to make the most of these halcyon years before the hormones crash in and wreck our perfect little bubble. No need to dwell on that now - we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How time flies

I've probably started the blog a hundred times on how fast time seems to pass, but this photo that Jo sent us this week just sums it up perfectly. Over the holidays we had the pleasure of meeting the newest Obbard (a pink one!) and we reminisced about the times they've all spent together, and how fast they've all grown up. Miss Eleanor Charlotte Holly Obbard is so very cute - much as I can take or leave a baby boy, a little girl brings very different emotions and I could happily have held her for hours. So now we are all back into the work and school and it feels like the holidays were 10 weeks rather than 10 days ago. My new job seems to be shaping up just fine - lots to do but I'm feeling incredibly energised by it all - and the girls are pleased to be back into the routine of classes and clubs. That is, apart from the earlier mornings - none of us are loving that. This weekend Abi came home all excited - she has her own licence trial and she is so excited about...

Busy, busy, busy

Full English brunch for these two! Life is VERY busy and I don't feel like we have stopped for weeks (or is that months?) It seems like the 'to-do' list is endless and while I know we don't have to do it all at once, I have taken on the unenviable task of trying to get the Muppet to finish all the work he promised / we have paid for and that has been like pushing a mountain of water up a very steep hill. We've got to the point where I think we have got all of what we are likely to get and the rest we'd rather finish ourselves anyway. The electric gates are clearly a work of his imagination based on the gates / the electric cables he spec'd and the cheapo motor mechanism - there is no way they'll work so we have decided to not bother and source proper gates that do the job and look better as well. Knowing that we are almost at a point where we sever the ties feels very liberating. Looking back this last 6 months has been incredibly stressful and just didn...

Snow!

After a beautiful day of sunshine yesterday, today it snowed... but more of that in a minute. Yesterday actually felt like a day of much progress. Despite Covid we managed to arrange a visit to Taunton School to have a look around with the girls and to meet the Headmaster. This was a massive relief as I had got to the point of thinking we would have to accept a place without ever stepping foot inside the school. In the end we had a very comprehensive, if a little deserted, tour of the school and the kids loved it, as did we. There may even be a small chance they might squeeze us in if we are there by the summer term - that is of course if the kids are back into school by then. The other news was that I managed to speak to Mr &Mrs Tucker - the people buying our house - and we tentatively agreed that we will try and complete during the Easter holidays which could have us moving in the third week of April. This does require everyone to have got all of what they need done, and that of ...