Skip to main content

Happy new year!

I should be starting to get back to work but knowing that in 2 months I will have left to start my new job I quite frankly have zero motivation! Today I have no meetings in my diary so I'm working from home. This means in reality I'm going to monitor emails and clear out my study and laptop of old documents / stuff that I really don't need. I guess that needs to be done so its all good. Tomorrow I'm in Bristol (proper actual work!) and then Friday is a few calls from home again. At least I'm easing myself in gently to the year! I am very mindful of the fact that as Christmas and the new year are now done, the reality is that I can no longer think 'oh well, don't have to worry about what's to come until next year' - it's all getting very real now! I am excited and daunted in equal measures - I know it's going to be great fun, I know it's going to be hard work and the bit I worry I may miscalculated on, the travel, well, I'm approaching the fact that I will undoubtedly travel more widely with an open mind - I think I can strike the right balance and if not, it's mine to shape.


To start the new year off on a good basis we went for our annual windy walk down on the beach, joined by Simon, Sharron, John and Lucy. We had a lovely day, great food, great company and the beach was at it's best, even if very busy due to the mild conditions. The girls were on brilliant form, playing in the sand and collecting shells without managing to get themselves soaking wet (first time ever!) - I even got photos of us all together - miracle!


So here's to a year of change - with a moto of being kind to myself and accepting that while everything may not feel under my control in the short term, this time next year it will all be much more familiar and I'll be in my stride.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Busy, busy, busy

Full English brunch for these two! Life is VERY busy and I don't feel like we have stopped for weeks (or is that months?) It seems like the 'to-do' list is endless and while I know we don't have to do it all at once, I have taken on the unenviable task of trying to get the Muppet to finish all the work he promised / we have paid for and that has been like pushing a mountain of water up a very steep hill. We've got to the point where I think we have got all of what we are likely to get and the rest we'd rather finish ourselves anyway. The electric gates are clearly a work of his imagination based on the gates / the electric cables he spec'd and the cheapo motor mechanism - there is no way they'll work so we have decided to not bother and source proper gates that do the job and look better as well. Knowing that we are almost at a point where we sever the ties feels very liberating. Looking back this last 6 months has been incredibly stressful and just didn...

How time flies

I've probably started the blog a hundred times on how fast time seems to pass, but this photo that Jo sent us this week just sums it up perfectly. Over the holidays we had the pleasure of meeting the newest Obbard (a pink one!) and we reminisced about the times they've all spent together, and how fast they've all grown up. Miss Eleanor Charlotte Holly Obbard is so very cute - much as I can take or leave a baby boy, a little girl brings very different emotions and I could happily have held her for hours. So now we are all back into the work and school and it feels like the holidays were 10 weeks rather than 10 days ago. My new job seems to be shaping up just fine - lots to do but I'm feeling incredibly energised by it all - and the girls are pleased to be back into the routine of classes and clubs. That is, apart from the earlier mornings - none of us are loving that. This weekend Abi came home all excited - she has her own licence trial and she is so excited about...

Snow!

After a beautiful day of sunshine yesterday, today it snowed... but more of that in a minute. Yesterday actually felt like a day of much progress. Despite Covid we managed to arrange a visit to Taunton School to have a look around with the girls and to meet the Headmaster. This was a massive relief as I had got to the point of thinking we would have to accept a place without ever stepping foot inside the school. In the end we had a very comprehensive, if a little deserted, tour of the school and the kids loved it, as did we. There may even be a small chance they might squeeze us in if we are there by the summer term - that is of course if the kids are back into school by then. The other news was that I managed to speak to Mr &Mrs Tucker - the people buying our house - and we tentatively agreed that we will try and complete during the Easter holidays which could have us moving in the third week of April. This does require everyone to have got all of what they need done, and that of ...